Thursday, February 12, 2009

Extreme Makeover: Cheeseblog Edition


As you may have noticed, the Blog O' Cheese has undergone it's first facelift.  Well, more than a facelift - more like,"Extreme Makeover, Blog Edition" without all the fanfare and that flavor savor guy running around with his shirt off, yelling at people with a blow horn.  

Let me first give credit where credit is due.  One of my best friends - Had, an accomplished web designer, designed a new header and the rest kinda just fell into place.  What I didn't know is that he secretly put a hidden dragon in the header.  Do you see it?  Yeah, if I knew how to Photoshop, I would probably replace that with a unicorn. 

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my brother Ike.  Ike, the header that you designed for me served me faithfully for almost a year.  It now has it's number hanging in the Blog O' Cheese rafters along with Darrell Griffeth and Frank Layden.

Given the new, sleek look of the blog and my new found supporters, I would like to make you aware that in spite of the economic woes our country faces, the cheese blog lives on.  In fact, it grows stronger each day.  It is like one of those snowballs that rolls down a hill and gets bigger and bigger until it barely misses a roadrunner and crashes into a wily coyote.  I forget what that phenomenon is called, but I have seen enough cartoons to understand the science behind it.  

I have been reading several articles on writing humor and each one is in agreement: it is not easy.  In fact, it is perhaps the most difficult kind of writing to excel at.  Not only do you have to write well in a general sense, but you have to be able to use your writing to make people laugh.  You also have to have an awareness of what makes people laugh.  I have found that it is very difficult, especially on a daily basis, to write something that a majority of my readers will at least chuckle at.  It doesn't even have to be an out loud chuckle to satisfy me;  I would be happy with a silent, internal chuckle.  

Some days I sit and stare at the computer screen in hopes that a funny topic will just pop into my brain.  Other days the writing flows easily, but I am left feeling empty, as if the comedy is a dying balloon and I am doing my best to hold it up with a flimsy string.  Strangely enough, it seems that I get the most compliments on posts that I thought were horrible and was embarrassed by them.  And then there are those precious days that I know I have written a piece of comedic genius and I could care less what anyone else thinks.  

The new and improved Blog O' Cheese rumbles on, rededicated to entertain it's friends.  Even if "entertaining" means being the last thing you click on before you go to bed or providing an outlet to spell an extreme case of boredom - please just keep reading.  Now just where is that Ty Pennington when you need him?  I need a new hutch and cabinet set to put in the basement of my new blog.

That reminds me dad, I don't think you would have all these women complaining about too many RC Willy Paige Davis commercials if you were to somehow get her former cohost, Ty Pennington to appear in the commercials with his shirt off. Am I right ladies? Just an idea.  (I really should have gone into advertising.)

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the new look yet. Maybe this is how you feel when you see everyone else's blogs since most women tend to change their blogs with each special holiday or occasion. Yours has always been the one consistent thing in my life! I'm sure it will grow on me :) And I'm glad you mentioned the dragon because I thought maybe it was a moldy piece of cheese.

You are so right about replacing Paige with Ty!