Monday, August 11, 2008

France - All the arrogance of BYU but without the honor code.

I am not a big Olympic guy, but last night... wow!  I love to see folks with big mouths go down in flames.  That is why I had no sympathy for Cowboy Joe Glenn when the Utes crushed them last year.  I found myself screaming at the TV like a certifiable maniac during the last few meters of that swim relay.  In your flippen' face France!  Go back to your France hole and hide in your French chambres and mourir une mort horrible!  

Other random ramblings:

People in my ward keep asking me why I run in the heat of the day, at 1:30 in the afternoon.  They think I am nuts, which of course is not far off.  I calmly explain that I am training for a double secret marathon in the Egyptian desert in 2010.  I also ask them why they are home at 1:30 in the afternoon, spying on me.  

Usually by now I am beginning to get excited for the upcoming school year.  So far, I feel no excitement in my gut.  Perhaps I have become numb to the hysteria autumn brings to a teacher.  I'm sure it will hit me soon.

We went back to Cherry Hills (Thanks Ike!) for a second time this summer.  (First time for Cathi.)  We left Calder at Grandma's.  We probably went on the wild tube ride 30 times in a row.  Lincoln could just not get enough and we could pretty much walk it on over and over.  

While we were swimming, I was looking at my thong.  (Not the one I was wearing up my butt.)  I began to wonder, whoever invented the thong, why did they put the thongy part of the thong between the big two toes?  Why not put it in between the two middle toes?  Or why not put one in between every toe?  I thought about this for hours.  More on my other thong later.  

I have decided to run my marathon on Labor Day by myself.  I don't need all the
 fanfare and excitement an organized race 
brings.  I just want to do it for myself.  Afterward I plan on eating 17 lbs of red meat at the Rodizzio Grill.  Interesting fact: Did you know that a vegetarian owns the Rodizzio Grill?  If you said yes, you are lying because I totally just made it up.  Since I am on the subject though, I would highly recommend staying AWAY from the hard boiled quail eggs at Rodizzio Grill.  Stick to eating three things there: Meat, cinnamon bananas and fried pineapple.  But for the love of all things holy, STAY AWAY FROM THE QUAIL EGGS!

I have also decided not to post my book entries as I write them on the Blog O' Cheese.  My reasoning is that having my chapters critiqued by my best friends may actually take the fun out of writing.  Alas, I will write the book and THEN post it chapter by chapter on the blog.  Because I have already written the entire thing, my fun will have been had and I will be more open to criticism.  Thank you for your support. 

Oh yes, and check out this stupid BYU fan showing their racist side holding a sign at a BYU/Utah volleyball game.  Can you believe this crap?!  The girl holding the sign of the girl holding the sign is a Navaho University of Utah graduate.  Apparently, the Y fans also held up a sign saying, "Trail of Tears part II".  Now if that is not offensive, I don't know what is.  Some of the stuff that comes out of Provo just blows me away sometimes.  Here is the article if you are interested.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Funny response to your neighbors about why you run in the heat of the day! But that is crazy Abe.

And I've wondered the same thing about why they position part of the thong next to the big toe. What if you don't have a big toe?

And it sucks to be the girl with the sign!!! I hadn't seen or heard of this so thanks for the article!

Lori said...

Mike and I don't get into the Olympics that much either. But, it's funny...he had the same response to the swim meet last night. Here I was, just browsing around at the blogs in the kitchen....when all of a sudden I heard him yelling at the TV in our bedroom....like he does during the Jazz games or a big football game. He was just so excited about that dang swim meet!

Lori said...

Abe, Mike E. My family is from the town of Epernon, France. Are you ripping on my family heritage. It's O.K., my family left France to go to England during the French revolution because they couldn't stand their own families and changed their name to Eperson, and then changed the last name to Epperson when they came to America in the early 1800's and eventually became Mormon Pioneers settling in the Midway - Heber area of Utah. So what I'm saying is way to stick it to the FRENCH, America!!!!!!!!!! The Olympics are still lame though!

Cheeseboy said...

Mike unless your family are big mouthed swimmers, I was not bashing your family. Plus, I am sure you have relatives from other countries.

I have family from Russia, but I still cheer for the US to kick their butts in everything.

Lori said...

It's Mike again! I can't think of many schools with more hypocrisy than BYU. Believe it or not, I sometimes want to root for them, especially in football because they really are a funner team to watch than the U of U. I find U games at time brutal to watch. I'm sorry to say this, but if the Utes don't win a minimum of 9 games with their schedule, Kyle should be fired! Back to the BYU mentality. At times I'm embarassed for the church when certain athletes and coaches have this holier than thou attitude in interviews. Comments made that God is looking down on them helping them win games because their self righteous spiritual ways they supposedly live in their lives are better than those who play on the U makes my stomach turn. The same feeling I get when I drive through Utah County, or talk to the guy with the BYU tie at church. I really want to be the die hard Ute fan that I used to be, but unfortuneately there's not alot their to excite me! Abe, how can I eat, drink, and sleep red this football season?

Cheeseboy said...

Mike, you shall not worry. They will get 10 wins in their sleep this year. It might not be 04', but get ready for another ride!

Oh, and as for BYU - they may have an exciting brand of football, BUT it has taken two miracle (or gifts from on high, depending on how you want to look at it) plays the last couple years to beat the Utes. Otherwise, they would be looking at 7 game losing streak to the Utes - wouldn't that have been sweet?

As for Kyle, I agree, he has to show me 10 wins this year. HOWEVER, I would much rather have him than that freak at BYU. Even though he wins, I can't stand him.

Speaking of winning, I am not particular about a high flying offense. If Utah went 10-2 every year running the wishbone, I would be ecstatic! Just give me a crisp offense with no mistakes and I am satisfied. In my view, you don't have to win pretty, you just have to win.

Just to reiterate though - 10 wins YES, they will beat BYU AND they will win the conference. If they don't do two of those three things, I agree, Kyle should be let go. There is just too much talent on this team for anything less.