The other day I was assigning a writing assignment in which they had to write three things they would wish for when blowing the white seeds off of a dandelion. This turned into a conversation of the various methods of wishing and their effectiveness.
After 45 minutes and much brainstorming, this is what the class determined - a countdown of the best wishing methods from worst to best.
7. The Magic Lamp -
- You get to meet a wacky, singing genie that you ain't ever had a friend like.
- You get 3 wishes, not just one.
- There is probably no such thing as a magic lamp.
- There is a lot of danger involved in finding one.
- You get to pull bones apart.
- It's a nice Thanksgiving surprise.
- Some of the girls think it's gross.
- It could be that wishbones are nothing more than bones and because they do not have brains, they do not understand that you are even making a wish on them.
- It's easy. Just pick up a dandelion and blow off the white seeds.
- You weed your lawn while you make wishes. (Although I had to explain the fact that they are actually spreading seeds and likely making the weed problem worse.)
- There are so many dandelions, it might actually kind of "cheapen" your wish, making it less likely that it will come true.
- It could be that dandelions are nothing more than dandelions and because they do not have brains, they do not understand that you are even making a wish on them.
This was a new one for me, as I had never heard of a wishing time. However, I was informed by 17 students that it actually does exist and that it often EVEN WORKS!
- It comes around once a day.
- It comes around twice a day if you are allowed to stay up REALLY late.
- You have to try really hard to remember when it happens.
- You have to have a watch or be by a clock. Sometimes you are outside.
- Wishing wells are almost ALWAYS magical.
- Wishing wells are awesome.
- You could fall down a wishing well and DIE!! (I did not mention Baby Jessica to the students. They were already freaked out enough by the prospect of falling down a well. Strangely enough, Desmond gets pushed into a well in LOST last night. That show is blowing my mind.)
- It could be that wishing wells are nothing more than wells and because they do not have brains, they do not understand that you are even making a wish on them.
- Stars are awesome!
- It makes no difference who you are.
- You can only make night wishes.
- It could be that stars are nothing more than giant flaming balls of gas and because they do not have brains, they do not understand that you are even making a wish on them.
- This is the only time your parents kind of let you play with fire.
- Birthdays ARE very special.
- If you don't blow them all out on your first try, you are so out of luck.
- It could be that candles are nothing more than burning chunks of wax and because they do not have brains, they do not understand that you are even making a wish on them
ABBY: Last week my older brother said he had really bad luck.
ME: Oh yeah?
ABBY: Yeah, first he got in a car crash. And then his girlfriend got REALLY mad at him. She even called him an F word.
OTHER KID: What's the F word?
ME: I'm not sure, but it sounds REALLY bad.
ABBY: Yeah, and then he bought a fish tank and 3 of his fish died in the bag before he even got home.
ME: Wow. That is really bad luck.
ABBY: I know!