Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cheeseboy: A Brief History of my Lover and I.

I thought about writing about our Fourth of July parade today and how it winds through our town; a series of decorated advertisements for everything from Costco to senate candidates to the "Society for Teenage Girls on Floats Wearing Formal Gowns". (SFTGOFWFG)

I thought about writing about how today marks the 25th anniversary of the release of Back to the Future and how I celebrated by teasingly calling my oldest son "Biff" all day.  I even told him, "Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?"

He has had a very confused day.

No, I decided to actually do a meme. I know, I know, I lied to you all when I said I don't do memes.  I am a lying liar that lies. My pants are on fire... 

My pants are on fire and the are hanging on a telephone wire.

No worries though, I have been watching in my underwear from my front window to make sure that the neighborhood children don't play underneath my burning pants and somehow get scorched by melting leather.  (I wear leather pants around patriotic holidays.  It's just something I do.)

However, I do worry about the neighbors seeing me in my front window, pantless, while watching the neighborhood kids play under burning leather britches hanging on a wire. I mean, who wouldn't worry about something like that?

Where was I?  Oh yes, the meme.

My friend over at Glamzon hosts a meme every Friday called the "Friday Confessional".  I have never participated, but decided to this week because the topic was "your lover" and "how you tricked her into marrying you".

I decided that many of my readers might be interested in hearing about Mrs. Cheesegirl.  (I think she would actually cringe being called that name, so readers that we actually know, please continue to refer to her by her first given name, which is "Brumhilda".)

So, off we go, into the wilds of the first ever Cheeseboy meme.  Please, keep your hands and arms in the confines of your laptop computers but hold on tight...

Question 1: How did you and your true love meet?

(FYI: From here on out, I am not going to refer to her as my "true love", although she most certainly is.  Using that term makes me feel all syrupy and shopworn inside.)

My wife and I grew up about three blocks away from each other.  We had gone to the same Elementary and High Schools, but she was a year younger than I.  We always knew each other, but did not become friends until I was 18 and had graduated and she was 17 and a senior in high school. 

The first time I remember having feelings for her was picking up a pizza at the local Little Caesars Pizza.  She walked in with her mom and I was blown away at how beautiful she had become.  I remarked to my buddy that she was the hottest girl I had ever seen.  (Although the exact phrasing at the time was probably something like, "DUDE! She is soooo hot!  Seriously, when did that happen?  She is like the hottest chick I have ever seen!)

Little Caesars had a way of bringing out the romantic in me.

Question 2: What is your favorite feature about your beloved?

(Ahem, FYI everyone... I will not be referring to her as my "beloved", although it was a great Toni Morrison novel.)

My wife is stunning.  I've said it before, but I constantly get comments from people I know and people I don't know about how attractive she is.  For the most part, it is flattering, although if I hear it from the same guy more than once, I start to get a little unnerved.

Being that she is a HAF (Highly Attractive Female.  Apparently, all the kids are saying it.), she has many great physical features to choose from:  She has superb, natural curly brown hair that also looks foxy when it is straightened. She is in great shape, but also has lavish curves.  However, I think her very best feature is her sublime dimples.

If my wife walks into a room and smiles, it is guaranteed to brighten the room at least two shades.  Fortunately, both of my sons inherited these amazing dimples from their mom.

Question 3: What is your favorite personality feature of your lover? 

My wife and I couldn't be more different.  We are opposites in almost every way imaginable:  She is an introvert, I am an extrovert. I am very right brained and creative; she is left brained and analytical.  She loves country, I love rock and roll. (Although we don't have that weird sibling sexual tension that Donny and Marie had.)  She hates attention, I crave it like pop rocks crave an open mouth.  I could go on and on...

So, the thing I think I love most about my wife is that she is so different than I.  Because we are so different, we make the perfect team.  Coupled together, we don't really have a weakness and I think that makes "us" pretty darned great.

That and she is also a Ute fan and graduate.

Question 4: When did you have your first kiss?

One of my first ever posts was one of my all time favorites, so I am not going to rehash it here.  However, you can read all about my first kiss with my wife here.

Question 5: What do they do that gets on your last nerve?

I've given this much thought as she really hardly ever gets on my nerves and we rarely, if ever argue.  Nevertheless, the question has been posed, so I shall answer.  2 things: Her shoes by the front door and.... She NEVER, and I mean NEVER loses an argument.

Like I said, we rarely, if ever argue, but when we do, she never loses.  I think her record in 12 years was 68-0.  The reason she wins all the time is that she is always right.

I said "was" 68-0.  I won my first argument the other night.  I thought it was going to be a glorious night. 68-1 started to feel real good..

And then it hit me...  I won.  Was that a good thing?  How must she be feeling?  I started to feel guilty.  The guilt began to run through my veins and out my toenails like neon lights.  I was overcome with guilt.  Winning began to feel awful.

It was a Catch-44 to be sure. (Catch-44 because I DOUBLED the 22, that is how much of a Catch-22 I was in.) 

Question 6: When did you know they were "the one"? 

In between that fateful day at Little Caesars and our first date, I was playing basketball with some older men in our church gym.  Brumhilda walked in dressed in a black skirt and white blouse.  She looked like a stinkin' movie star.  During a stoppage in play, I pointed her out and told my Bishop (who was also playing Point Guard.  Bishops run the point in our religion), "See that girl over there?  I am going to marry that girl someday!"

To this day, my wife does not believe that story.  I promise that is 100% true.  I'd like to say that this moment was the moment I knew she was "the one", but really it was only the beginning.

6 months later, I went gallivanting and frolicking for two years in Pennsylvania.  She patiently "waited" for me to return. (And by "waiting" I mean dating other guys and most likely - gasp - kissing them.  I really don't like to think about that time I was away from her.)

The real moment I knew she was "the one" was when I returned from Pennsylvania, stepped off the airplane and she stepped into my arms.  Without even talking to her, I knew the spark was still there.  I think she would say the same.

Question 7: What sets her apart from other girls I have dated in the past?

Okay, this is an easy one, because I was a total loser.  I had dated maybe 8 girls in my life and had never had a girlfriend.  I was completely awkward and nervous around girls.  For some reason, things changed with Brumhilda.  I was comfortable around her.  She laughed at my jokes.  (Other girls laughed at my jokes too, but only because I was an idiot.)

I mean, she REALLY laughed at my jokes. She laughed at me all the time and often I would bring her close to tears. (She still thinks I'm funny, but no longer laughs at me like this.  I think it is because she has me figured out now - what with her analytical brain and all.)

Perhaps THAT is the thing that was different: her laughing.  Even though she was the most beautiful girl I had ever dated or even considered dating, from the moment we met, when I was with her, I was completely at ease and felt I could be myself.

I still feel that way. 

So, there you have it.  A Cheeseboy history of love, AKA: the longest post I have ever done.  If you are still reading, I hope you are wiping the chick flick tears from your eyes, the same way you were after watching "The Notebook" or "Beverly Hills Ninja".

63 comments:

Donda said...

Awwww that was so sweet. I hope she doesn't clothesline you for calling her Brumhilda though!

Lori said...

What? I'm the first one to comment on a post of "The Almighty Cheeseboy's"? I must be the only lame one sitting around reading blogs on the 4th of July. Oh well...

You got yourself a keeper in that sister of mine! I don't know if they come any nicer and sweeter than she!

Oh, and that's just great. My husband just spent $50 on fireworks at Costco today. Are you telling me I could have just lit his leather pants on fire and watched them burn for entertainment purposes?

Lori said...

What? Darn that Donda for beating me with her comment!!! I wanted to be first!

Mary said...

Brumhilda sounds amazing! Isn't it great when you find someone you're totally comfortable with!

Kristina P. said...

I actually think you should refer to her as "Lovah" on your blog, from now on. And she is gorgeous.

Does she blog at all? That Cheesy Bread really knows how to create a love connection.

TisforTonya said...

I've never been a fan of chick flicks - is it okay if I'm wiping away tears like the ones I get from Kleenex commercials?

She's a beauty - but she should probably shoot her own parents for the name Brumhilda :)

Marla said...

You stinking kill me! I love your warped sense of humor and the way you love your wife and how ridiculous you are. I would adopt you if I wasn't wanting to get rid of the kids I already have.

Great post, cheesey!

Kelly said...

I loved it! You are both very lucky suckers!

Kelly said...

Oh and btw while I was in Utah someone complimented my old purse and I thought of you. No new purse needed!

Emmy said...

Yes Beverly Hills Ninja is a tear jerker ;). See I read the whole thing, or just the last sentence.
I never would have guessed you were an extrovert and like attention.

But in all seriousness, your wife sounds like an amazing lady and she is beautiful.

CB said...

She is gorgeous - In fact your family is beautiful!
This was sooooo very sweet and wonderful!!
I also love that you used the word "foxy" - Oh yeah!!

Does she enjoy reading your blog? I hope so :D

Amy said...

I think Mrs. Cheesegirl has a nice ring to it.

You have a very cute family!

W.C.Camp said...

Wonderful photos. Nice looking crew you two have. Just keep doing what you are doing - it seems to be working perfectly. Congrats! W.C.C.

Teachinfourth said...

And to think, I thought that you were going to say that one night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told you that if you didn't take Brumhelda out that he would melt your brain.

That, or maybe her father hit you with the car, and brought you into the house. Maybe you seemed so helpless, like a little lost puppy. And her heart just went out to you. After that, you two found out about the a rhythmic ceremonial ritual at the high school and while there, kissed on the dance floor and fell in love.

Well, I guess your story is pretty impressive, too. It goes to show you that if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything….

Rock on, Cheeseboy.

Tree said...

You are SO doggone SWEET! Well, except for the Brumhilda comment. LOL And you're such a liar too....liar, liar, pants on fire!! I love that you did this meme though....I learned so much about you both....like she's a little bit country, and you're a little bit rock and roll.

Your wife is gorgeous by the way, and I think you are a very lucky dude! I'm sure she is too. :)

Hey...I gave you a little shoutout today on my blog...if you should grace me with your presence. LOL

Jamie said...

I'm impressed with your story. It's nice to see your feminine side for a change! Mwahahaha! No, really.... great post. Thanks for sharing it.

ScoMan said...

Well this is a good meme to make your first meme.

And you should get the bishop to vouch for you, because bishop's aren't allowed to lie.

Though I went to school with a kid with the surname Bishop and he was a fat little liar. He didn't even wear pants because he kept burning his leg hairs off, and teenage boys compare leg hair as they go through puberty.

Well, they did at my school anyway.

Did I mention I'm from a country town that didn't have cinemas or sports teams?

Cruella Collett said...

Aaaaw - this was very sweet. I am sure Brunhilda won't turn all valkyrie on you when she finds out you call her Mrs Cheesegirl... ;)

Anyway - loved the post and loved the pictures (though I secretly suspect you have been raiding the online portfolio of some photographer, looking for pictures with the tagline "Perfect American Family"...)

Diminishing Lucy said...

Adorable. All of you. She is delicious, and that smile could launch 1000 ships.

And the fact that you have posted all this is wonderful - how I WISH lovely husband would pen a blog post to me!

(Thank you, too, for all your lovely comments on my blog recently. Appreciate it.)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. You have a gorgeous wife and family.

Anonymous said...

This post is a great love letter to your wife. Beautiful stuff, and I actually did get teary-eyed at one point.

You are blessed to have found each other.

Now I'm gonna make like a tree and get outta here. Oh, man, weren't the 80s grand??! I miss them sometimes.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful love story! I have 3 daughters and I'm always telling them to not put up with the 'jerks'. That the one will just know and so will they. You've confirmed my theory ONCE AGAIN. Long live love! And God Bless America! Happy 4th of July!

Melissa said...

hahahaha, YES! I broke your vow to never do a meme...and I'm afraid I'm responsible for that leather pants fiasco. Although, really, you're lucky someone didn't light you on fire long ago for wearing leather pants. Just sayin'.

That was awesome! So glad we got to know a little more about your pretty pretty wife-you guys sound like a great match :)

Thanks for playing!

Marnie said...

Your wife is simply stunning and beautiful. Your children are adorable too...they must keep you and the Mrs. busy :0) You all look great in your pictures.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Hope you have a great 4th of July!

Hart Johnson said...

*giggling and snorting over burning pants and wearing leather for holidays* Especially the 4th of July--it is ALL ABOUT stuff like that.

LOVE how you talk about your sweet baboo! And I have a son with dimples, but there is NOBODY who can spot where they came from...

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

What a sweet post. For that you are even forgiven for doing meme.

Brumhilda (seriously????) sounds like a wonderful woman and she's so pretty and "foxxy" as well.

Love the family picture.

Writing Without Periods! said...

ah, it's nice to read these great things said about a spouse.
Happy 4th
Mary

tammy said...

Leather pants in July. Good thinking.

What a coincidence, Luvpilot has only won one argument with me too. And he cannot stand my shoes by the door either. But I cannot stand all of his shoes in the coat closet by the door. They make it all messy.

I'm glad you decided to get all warm and squishy and share your story with us. I love hearing how couples meet.

Plus you two make some pretty adorable kiddos.

Tammy said...

So sweet Abe! It's so nice to see a post about your family with pictures included :)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That is very sweet and romantic. You are a stunningly cute family. I do worry about your wife and kids - not so much your neighbors- upon seeing you pantless while watching the neighborly kids playing under leather induced fire and all.
Happy 4th,
xoRobyn

The Invisible Seductress said...

You look very very good together. Like cherries hand picked and sweetened for a perfect family pie. Did I just write that? But it's true! Family is a blessing that some don't cherish like they should. I can tell you do!!!

Baby Sister said...

She is beautiful and that was cute. :) Brownie points for you!

Jason, as himself said...

Wow. You and Brumhilda are a match made in heaven! And you have a HAF (highly attractive family).

This was a great 4th of July blog.

Here's to you and Brumhilda, Cheeseboy.

Macey said...

Awww, this is SO sweet.
You are lucky, you have a beautiful family! :)

Saimi said...

You do have the gift of gab my friend but those were some really great answers!

You have a beautiful family, must be the dimples!

Beth Zimmerman said...

That was an awesome tribute to your beautiful wife! :)

Bill Lisleman said...

you left out a small detail but let me fill it in - hot cheese pizza.

I noticed above you made some points with your SIL. Does MIL read the blog too?

Happy 4th and don't get the leather wet - it shrinks.

Anonymous said...

aww you're all gorgeous. What a lovely family :o)

CynthiaK said...

Wow, was that the longest post you've ever done? {smirk}

Very sweet. And weepy. And syrupy. {sniffle}

You look like you make a fantastic family. And she's definitely a catch!!

Connie said...

She is beautiful! You're one lucky guy and I'm sure she's one lucky girl.
I've always felt that Little Caesars has a magic aura that allows love to grow!

Great post!

Melissa {Suger} said...

Cheese factor through the roof and I loved every minute of it. Thanks for sharing.

And I promise I'll totally ignore the fact that you don't do meme's.

-stephanie- said...

Awwww you're a lucky cheeseboy to have such a sweet, wonderful, smart, beautiful cheesegirl.

Unknown said...

This was sweet. Forget you added a rule about the meme. This was a great post.

Joann Mannix said...

I'm sitting here, on our vacation, sneaking in a little commenting while my family is still asleep. These people are mad. They keep me running through the streets of Chicago from dusk till dawn.

So, very sweet and your wife and boys are just gorgeous, the whole lot of them. You are one lucky man, Cheeseboy. You should send a thank you note to Little Caesars.

And I'm so glad you discovered the secret. Husbands cannot and/or should never be right in an argument.

Because you know now, you will have a long and happy marriage. Congratulations, not all men figure this one out.

DEZMOND said...

A picture perfect family ^_^

Karen said...

Very sweet story. Your children are adorable.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you both agree on how you met. My husband always gets mixed up with the years and forgets the lame pick up line he used on me at the beach, something like, "leave your sunglasses off, you have pretty eyes"...But i loved every second of it, it worked and I'm an honest woman now

Southpaw said...

Awww, that’s so sweet. And don't worry I doubt you really won that argument.

Jess the photographer behind the lens at JWilsonPix said...

Holy right!! Had to scroll down four pages o leave my comment!! lmbo...

You have a beautiful family... Loved your Meme......

Is she ok with being called Brumhilda?.... lol...

and last but not last... had to say nice pictures... =)

Have a great week!

Stephanie said...

Awww The Cheeseboy is a romantic art heart. Loved reading this:)

Debbie said...

What a sweet post. Who wrote it for you?
Actually, it was very nice. I love that you knew right away she was the one.

mCat said...

Dude! You SO married up. You know that right?

Great meme.

Tom said...

Nice post, but I had a hard time getting over the title. Whenever I hear the word "lover" I imagine Will Ferrell and Rachel Dratch in a hot tub.

See Mom Smile said...

Aw that was so sweet and nacho cheesy. You had me at "pants on fire", "pop rocks", and "Little Ceasars."

We lived in Erie, PA for 3 years. I know there is no frolicking in PA. There is only slow meandering.

Melinda said...

LIAR!

Okay, I'm glad you broke your meme rule for this one, what do you think are my chances of getting my husband to do this for me?

Pedaling said...

my new favorite post of yours, to date.
I actually got a bit of a chill on the part where you stepped off the plane & into her arms and knew the spark was still there.
I clicked on the picture of her so I could see every detail...and yes, she is beautiful!

Ash said...

such a long lovely post. it's great to hear how you two grew up so closely and the in-betweens till now. she is indeed gorgeous. you're one lucky man! :)

~ash's mum

Powdered Toast Man said...

Tear. Great stuff. I want to see a follow up post by your wife.

jayayceeblog said...

That was sooooo romantic ... my chick flick tears of joy are streaming!

Claire said...

Aw. Yay for your first meme. She IS pretty!! You guys make an awfully fabulous looking family with some cute boys, they're like, rivaling mine for cuteness, I admit.
:)
I liked this post. Sweet with humor, the best!

Claudya Martinez said...

She sounds great, but she really should change her name. Maybe Endora?

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

The House O'Cheese is Gorgeous!! Wow, look at them dimples, Mrs. Cheese Whiz is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your love story, all melted inside like cheez fondue.

tiburon said...

What a sweet tribute to your wife.

I agree - she is totally smokin!