Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fred's Follies

There is this old guy at our church, his name is Fred.  Fred knew my Grandpa somehow and he must tell me every week how great a man I am because of it.  He is a real close talker and he does not have what one might call "hygienic oral hygiene".  

Each week Fred gives me a firm handshake and tells me how great a man I am.  Each week, Fred opens our conversation with a new tag line that makes absolutely no sense.  I always walk away, shaking my head in confusion. I have begun writing them down. 

He always begins, "Well, there's a good man."  And then... the lines:

"Good to see you.  It's better to be seen than viewed, that's what I've always said."

"Life is good.  Better to have a good life than to give a good life."

"Always good to talk to you.  Talking is God's gift to our mouths.  Our mouths are God's gift to our friends.  It's good to have you as a friend and it's good to talk to you."  (This one I am not positive about exactly how it went, but it was something like this.)

"What a wonderful day it is.  The days filled with wonder return wonder two fold."

I am not sure what these sayings mean, but if the point is to make me smile, they work every time, even if they have to do with death.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sat by Fred in Sunday School yesterday, he said the opening prayer and then Nathan (our "class president")assisted him back to his seat, at which everyone laughed. He leaned over to me and said, "I didn't know I acted that old, I'm not 80 till next week". I asked him how he was doing and he said "better than a sharp stick in the eye". He always make me smile.

Tammy said...

I think every ward has a "fred". Growing up my "fred" was named "Dave B". He didn't have clever sayings but he was just a really nice guy that always welcomed me and was just happy to be alive.

I like the comment Tyler got "better than a sharp stick in the eye." That's funny!