Saturday, February 7, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

Alright, I have given in already.  Please stop bothering me to do this.  I am doing it now, but I am sure that I will be tagged 40 more times before this virus has run it's course.  This was a facebook tag, but since it is requiring actual thought (actual thought should not be required while on facebook), I am placing it both on my blog and on facebook.  So, away we go.

1. I have been tagged over 4,000 times in my lifetime, including: tags received on the playground at recess both in my youth and adulthood and tags received on various websites.  (The tags on the websites are unfortunately catching up with the tags on the playground.)
2. One of the best compliments I could ever receive is that I am strange, weird or crazy.  I hate being ordinary.  
3. The older I get the more I feel like I should have been in drama club in high school.  Those kids I made fun of all those years - I realize now that I have more in common with them than I thought.  Plus, I have a goal of someday being in a play.
4. While in scouts, I once owned a 3 foot garden gnome that my friends and I started worshiping at camp.  It was confiscated during camp and we were told that we were being sacrilegious. Which of course, we were.
5. As a youngster, I was petrified of the movie Gremlins.  I once faked sick at a sleepover to go home early just to avoid having to watch the Gremlins.
6. Before I had even turned 16, I had already backed our truck into our house - and I wasn't even in it.  I was goofing around in the drivers seat while no one was home and left it out of gear.  I then went and played basketball in the back yard and watched in amazement as the truck rolled directly our wood paneling.
7. I broke both of my legs the first (and only) time I went skiing.  And yes, I was on the tow rope hill. And no, I will never go again.
8. I am the only person in my family (my wife and kids) that does not have dimples... I am talking strictly facial dimples.
9. I have always idolized Chris Elliott (of "Get A Life" and "Other movies that are too numerous to mention on a tag").  I think he is the most underrated comic of our time - or really all time, since the beginning of time.
10. One of my most favorite thing about being a First Grade teacher is the response I get from women when I tell them I am a First Grade teacher.  "Ah, how cute.  We need more men like you teaching the young kids."  It never gets old.
11. I once bought a $100.00 pair of sunglasses.  Three days later at Disneyland, I watched as these glasses fell off my face and into the water surrounding Tom Sawyer's Island.  I stick exclusively with the $5.00 pairs now. 
12. I always wished I was the fifth, unheard of member of Boyz II Men.
13. I grew up with the famed "Hobbitville" in my back yard.  I never once saw a hobbit, but I did see a 3 foot garden gnome on more than one occasion.
14. I often have no clue what is going on in LOST, but I pretend to just to act smart.
15. Because of my extremely hairy arms, I have been called everything from "werewolf" to "gorilla" by my First Grade students.
16. I love being the center of attention (usually) and because of this, I will attempt to stretch my birthday out into weeks and sometimes months.
17. If I were not a teacher, which I love, I would very seriously consider going into stand up comedy.  No seriously.  This one is not a joke.
18. As I get older, I realize more and more that I am actually a huge nerd. Or perhaps I would just like to be a nerd; I love Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, TV shows about nerds, electronic music, lasers, the list goes on and on.  
19. I do not remember the last time I laughed so hard that I cried.  However, making my wife laugh so hard that she cries is actually a much better feeling. Fortunately, I have done this more than a few times.
20. My wife and I are complete opposites in about 90% of things, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
21. Of my dad and four brothers, I was the only one that did not go into advertising or marketing.  Call me a mama's boy but my mom is the best teacher I have ever seen and she helped inspire me to be a teacher.
22. My name is Abe and my son's name is Lincoln.  I was named after the bible guy and my son was named after the President.  We really liked the name Lincoln and would have probably named him that, even if my name was Rufus.
23. I am currently watching "Space Chimp" with Lincoln while I write this.  It is surprisingly funny. 
24. I will often catch myself checking out my own wife and then realize that it is okay, she is my wife.  I then pinch myself to ensure reality.
25. I can play just about any song on the harmonica and I have no idea why or how.  

This Space Chimp movie is really funny.  I have laughed five or six times since I entered #23.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Yesterday Nathan said he would never want a man to be his teacher. I said "What about Abe?" And he said he didn't know you taught kids but now that he does it's okay to be a man teacher. And I think it's great that you took after your mom with your career!

I'll have to notice you hairy arms. When I think of you, I don't think gorilla or werewolf.

All my sunglasses are expensive but now that you've posted your story, I'll think twice about taking them to Disneyland in 3 weeks :)

Lori said...

I also only buy $5 sunglasses. I tend to lose them, sit on them, or any number of things all to often to spend more than that on a pair.

I agree...you should have done the drama club. You would have been great in there.

Very nice compliments to Cath in this post.

Matthew said...

I love Chris Elliot too! Some of his greatest comedic moments were on the old Late Night with David Letterman. He did a hilarious Marlon Brando impression that usually included dancing around a random food item (I remember a can of green beans and bunch of bananas best). But there were tons of great moments. I probably should have studied more in high school and watched David Letterman less, but I think I turned out ok.