Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Song of the Day: Death Cab For Cutie - Grapevine Fires

Sure, the last Death Cab album did not receive the same warm reviews as the previous albums. And sure, we were told that this album "would sound like nothing Death Cab has ever put out", only to find that it sound exactly like every album Death Cab has ever put out. It's not my favorite Death Cab album, but it has really grown on me. Certainly, it is better than 95% of the other crap out there. This song is my favorite on the album. The storytelling and songwriting is brilliant.

8 comments:

su-tang 3000 said...

All of the slower stuff on Narrow Stairs is great. It's just the rock stuff that falls flat for me.

lindsey v said...

I like that song and video. His voice reminds me of The Ocean Blue singer. I've heard of Death Cab all over the place but I've never looked into them.

Cheeseboy said...

Spencer - yes, you are right on. Hadn't thought of it, but I generally skip right through all the rockier songs.

Lindsey, do you mean Blue October? I have never heard of The Ocean Blue. You really should get a Death Cab albums. I suggest you start with "Plans".

Cheeseboy said...

Okay, found the Ocean Blue. They were big in the early 90's I guess. I never listened to them.

Ike said...

Great song. Even greater music video.

Intersting article about it on BoingBoing. Worth a read.

http://tinyurl.com/klhwvg

lindsey v said...

I have to keep coming back to listen to this song.

Ike, that artist is so cool! And his last name is Robot? My little boy would die of happiness if that was his last name. But he got stuck with VanBallegooie.

lindsey v said...

So I found out that Walter Robot isn't a real person. But it's still a cool name.

I know no one is reading these this far back, but I just had to correct my own self.

Cheeseboy said...

Lyndsey - I read and see all.

Your friend,

Walter T. Robot.