EPCOT stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow or some garbage like that, but I did not see a single floating cul-DE-sac or apartment building made of technology. In fact, it was quite the contrary... the streets of EPCOT looked exactly the way I left them 13 years ago. Not exactly the laser laced Serial Ports with flat slab thingies I had imagined.
EPCOT should really stand for Expensive Place [should be] Called Other Thing [like "Golf Ball Surrounded by Fake Countries" GBSBFC]
That's not to say that the place is a total waste. Fun stuff was abundant. Our favorites:
1. Soarin' - Exactly the same as Soarin' Over California and a slap in the face to Florida, which evidently has nothing worth soarin' over. Also, why they call it "Soarin'" and not just "Soaring" is obnoxious to me.
2. Test Track - On this ride, you "drive" a car through a set of cones and then the car takes off and you go very fast. It's a little bit like being in the back of a driver's ed car and the foreign exchange student from Singapore just took the wheel.
3. The Land - One would think that riding a boat through a bunch of greenhouses would be boring. Yet it remains one of the most popular rides at EPCOT... so much so that it actually has a fast pass option. For some reason, and I am not sure exactly why, this ride is fascinating and enjoyable.
4. Spaceship Earth - Yes, there is actually a ride inside that golf ball, and it does not involve Tiger Woods crashing his chick-mobile into a fire hydrant.
5. The Norway Boat Ride - This ride is infamous in my family as my father once described it using his hands in a hilarious boat like manner. I'd give it about a 6 out of 10 on the fun factor.
2 disappointing things:
1. Mission to Mars - This ride was sooo excruciating awful, even painful, it definitely deserves it's own post. So, you have that to look forward to.
2. Finding Nemo ride - This ride is similar to the Disneyland submarine ride, but instead of feeling cramped and sweaty in a submarine, you sit in a clam shell. Sitting in a clam shell does not a good ride maketh.
Really, the entire park was fine and we rode/saw 99% of the attractions. However, at the end of the day, we felt done with the place and had no real desire to go back. In fact, it turned out to be our least favorite of the four parks.